Monday, January 28, 2013

BOOK REVIEW ~ BLOOD OF GOLD BY B.V. LARSON



Title: Blood of Gold (Seeker, Book One)
Author: B.V. Larson
Release Date: June 3, 2010

Reviewer bought own copy of eBook for review 

Her young man stepped out of nowhere onto a mountaintop... 

Her high school counselor came from Hell. Literally... 

Haley learns she has a unique gift. She normally lives her life escaping notice, but now two gorgeous strangers are interested in her. Very interested. Seth is the best-looking young man she (or anyone else) has ever met. Every girl in school is after him and the competition turns strangely vicious. She soon realizes that he is not fully bound to this world. Although they both feel the mutual attraction, there’s something holding him back... The second stranger is equally attractive, but more frightening. When she is with him, she somehow loses her self-control. To say more would give away too much, but Las Vegas will never be the same... 



Book Review

Blood of Gold is the first book of a Young Adult series that left me feeling a little cheated and a little disappointed. I had this book on my kindle for a while and decided to finally check it out. 

Unfortunately, there was nothing original in this dark fantasy novel involving a mysterious teenager who shows up at school and seems to be more than..human. Sounds very familiar and very predictable.  

In spite of the cliches and the predictability of the plot, I did continue to read, hoping for an unexpected twist or a compelling climax that would make me yearn for more. Unfortunately, it never happened.

Haley is the heroine of the story who has self-esteem issues and the best friend who seems to have it all--looks and a healthy dose of confidence. But when the new boy, Seth, shows up at school, the two best friends become estranged. And when Seth shows his favor for Haley, things turn a bit nasty. 

Haley's sudden attraction to Seth just seemed way overboard and I never felt a connection to either character. Their relationship never really developed-it was more like an instantaneous thing that I would have loved to see grow over time. 

When you finally get some answers as to what exactly Seth is and how Haley plays an important role in it, I felt a bit cheated. Haley's role wasn't really developed enough for my tastes. I was left with more questions than answers. 

Overall, Blood of Gold lacked originality, depth, and its shaky plot  with little answers left me disappointed.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments...tell me what you thought of my post!

Total Pageviews

Labels