Monday, September 2, 2013

ARC BOOK REVIEW ~ AGAINST THE ROPES BY SARAH CASTILLE



Title: Against The Ropes
Author: Sarah Castille
Expected Release Date: September 3, 2013

ARC provided by NetGalley




He scared me. He thrilled me. And after one touch, all I could think about was getting more…

Makayla never thought she’d set foot in an underground mixed-martial arts club. But if anyone needs a medic on hand, it’s these guys. Trouble is, at her first sight of the club’s owner she’s the one feeling breathless.

All sleek muscle and restrained power, the man they call Torment plays to win at any cost. Whether it’s in the ring or in the bedroom, he knows exactly when to use a soft touch and when to launch a full-on assault. He always knows just how far he can push. And he’s about to tempt Makayla in ways she never imagined…


Book Review

I wasn't sure how to write a review for this book. For the most part, I liked Against The Ropes, but there were parts that I found a bit cliche and a bit over the top. But the meat of the story, I did love. 

Torment is a underground MMA fighter, one who kicks ass inside the ring. A fighter. Skilled and deadly. But he hides a side of him that Makayla doesn't see, much less, expect. 

Torment is also Max Huntington; a very wealthy businessman who is used to the finer things in life. High class. Totally different from the world that Makayla has grown up in and cannot relate to lifestyle of the rich and famous.

From two different backgrounds these two meet and the sexual chemistry is explosive. Castille writes a very convincing connection between Makayla and Max. But sometimes, it exceeds into unbelievable and I'm questioning why Makayla acted a certain way. 

Despite the difficulty I had with Makayla's wishy washy character, I found myself liking her humor and sass. She wanted Max the man, not the fighter. Not the wealthy businessman. Max, who could be tender, yet the dominant lover she craved. The Max who could let down his walls when they were together. 

I loved the sexting that Makayla and Max did. It was sweet, sexy, and showed a lighter side to Max. One that is especially crucial after seeing him as such a dominating character. He was a serious Alpha--one whose past mistakes made him a bit heavy handed in the role of protector. 

Another enjoyable piece in Against The Ropes was the side story involving Makayla and the debt collector that continues to call her, almost bordering on harassment.  Somehow these two characters have a connection despite their wacky relationship.  And even though it falls sometimes into the unbelievable category, I found myself snickering at their dialogue. 

Yes, I thought the story had a few kinks (pun not intended) to be worked out. But Castille writes a very entertaining read. There is a definite talent there in the crux of the story and I look forward to reading more of her in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments...tell me what you thought of my post!

Total Pageviews

Labels