Monday, January 30, 2012

BOOK REVIEW ~ KING OF DARKNESS BY ELISABETH STAAB

Title: King of Darkness (Chronicles of Yavn, Book One)
Author: Elisabeth Staab
Mass Market Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks
IBSN: 1402263155
Expected Release Date: Feb 7, 2012

Pre-order on Amazon and Barnes and Noble

ARC provided by Net Galley

Where you can find the author:
Goodreads
Facebook
Twitter
Website
Blog

Book Blurb:

ETERNAL COMMITMENT IS NOT ON HER AGENDA…

Scorned by the vampire community for her lack of power, Isabel Anthony lives a carefree existence masquerading as human—although, drifting among the debauched human nightlife, she prefers the patrons’ blood to other indulgences. But when she meets the king of vampires this party girl’s life turns dark and dangerous.

BUT TIME’S RUNNING OUT FOR THE KING OF VAMPIRES…

Dead-set on finding the prophesied mate who will unlock his fiery powers, Thad Morgan must find his queen before their race is destroyed. Their enemies are gaining ground, and Thad needs his powers to unite his subjects. But when his search leads him to the defiant Isabel, he wonders if fate has gotten it seriously wrong…

PRINCE OF POWER

Anton and Tyra's story, book two of the Chronicles of Yavn, is scheduled to release January 2013!



Book Review

I love a good vamp story, one that you can really sink your, er…teeth into, lol.

Something that gives a different twist to the mythical creature and has me sitting on my seat waiting for the next chapter.

Elisabeth Staab’s debut book, King of Darkness, doesn’t offer much originality, although it is a decent read. I am sure fans of the paranormal genre will flock to it for the simple fact that it is a vampire romance. However, her hero, Thad Morgan, never completely took over the role as the ultimate Alpha hero. I never completely fell for him. He see-sawed between likable to slightly irritating throughout the book.

Thad, king of the Vampires, is searching for his Queen, the female prophesized to rule beside him. From the first chapter, I felt that Thad acted hesitant, unsure of how to rule, and not strong enough to pull of the role of a king. I was more interested in his second, Lee Goram, and found myself wanting more of his story. For me, a king should be strong, fierce, and certain. All the characteristics that Thad lacked, in my opinion.

Isabel seemed just as indecisive as her predestined mate. And her background wasn’t thoroughly developed as I’d hoped. I would have loved to have seen a stronger connection between the two besides that of the carnal nature.

The two lovers came together too fast, an explosion of hot sex, too little of the emotions. I never actually felt their connection beyond the bedroom.

This story’s secondary characters were more interesting than the hero/heroine. I loved Lee and his loathing for humans. He is attracted to Isabel’s human friend, Alexia and loses his cool when around her. Now THAT had the right dash of sexual chemistry and frustration that I love to read.

There were some humorous points for me in the book, and I hope to see a book for Siddoh in the future.

Overall, the secondary characters stole the show for me in this story. And were the only reason why I liked this book.


4 HORNY DEVILS

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments...tell me what you thought of my post!

Total Pageviews

Labels