Thursday, March 22, 2012

DIRTY LITTLE SECRET



Dirty Little Secret is a weekly meme hosted by us at Under the Covers. Every Thursday we get to know other bloggers and our readers more intimately by asking them a question hoping to reveal their dirty little secrets. We hope that you will all join us!

To participate in the meme all you need to do is:


1. Be a follower of Under the Covers.


2. Create a post in your blog taking the meme image above and copy instructions.


3. Answer the question we propose! This can be done in any way you like, post a video, write a post etc.


4. Then add your link to UTC's blog post.

 
Non-bloggers: We want to hear from you as well!!! Let us know your answer in the comments!


We hope you join us and let us know your Dirty Little Secrets!






~ This week's question ~ 

How do you go about reviewing 1 or 2 star books or books you didn't enjoy?

It is my mission to make sure that I am honest in all my reviews--first and foremost. That being said, I try to tell what I enjoyed about the book (if at all) and if the book didn't work--what I would have liked to have seen instead.  For example: If the chemistry wasn't strong enough between the H/h, or the plot was unbelievable, or if the story line itself moved too slow for me.
It is important to remember --Just because I rate a book as a MUST READ--that doesn't mean EVERYONE will enjoy it as much as I did.
Reviews are subjective and ANY review-whether a 1 or 2 rating up to a 5 star, does what it's supposed to do....get the name of the author and book out there to the reading public.
One thing I NEVER do and don't believe in--bashing an author. Just because you didn't like the book, doesn't mean that everyone out there will think the same thing. 
I can't imagine what it is like as an author reading reviews of something that they created--gave birth to--and see that 'baby' taken to pieces...Every word, every page, every thought they've had is bled onto the paper and as reviewers, we should remember this.
I hope that I have done that with each book that I have reviewed.

Now I will get off my soap box, lol.

What about you? How do you feel about writing a review for a book that you didn't care for?







 



11 comments:

  1. Great answer! I'm trying to be "nicer" in my negative reviews. It's hard when I disliked a book so much, but as you said, a book that's not for me might be for someone else. I'm being more and more constructive with my negative reviews than anything, but always I find something nice to say about the book.

    My DLS

    Ning @ Reading by Kindle Fire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ning-
      Thanks for stopping by. When I truly dislike a book, it's hard to find something positive. But I don't like to smash anybody's work. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Chemistry is a deal breaker for me as well.
    I think the hardest reviews to write are the ones of books you can't really say what it was you didn't like abt them or the ones you didn't have a strong reaction over while reading (good or bad) - as in more *blah* than anything note-worthy.
    Happy Thursday!
    My DirtyLittleSecret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay--Chemistry plays a MAJOR part for me, because-YEAH, it's romance we're reading about, lol. I hate it when that happens in a book.
      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. lovely answer ;0
    Sharonda
    http://www.salaciousreads.com/2012/03/dirty-little-secret_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't bash authors if i don't like their book I just tell them that I didn't like it, I'm not mean about it, for another reader may like it. We all have different tastes. Usually i have to put the book down and read another then go back and see if I missed something...thats what I did with one book that a friend rave about and i couldn't get into then a month later I started reading it and loved it..so it just depends on your moods...carolefiore@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bookworm-
      I did that too with the book, The Host, by Stephanie Meyer. I didn't get into it the first time and put it down. Started over again about 1/2 year later after a friend suggested that I give it another try. I loved it and glad I gave it another shot.

      Delete
  5. I love seeing all the great answers!

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Francesca--
      thanks for stopping over, love it when ya do :)
      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. I can't stand that either. You should never bash an author. There is always something about the book that will make it worth it, even if it was something small. Great answeer...heres mine: http://closeencounterswiththenightkind.blogspot.com/2012/03/dirty-little-secret_22.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki
      Author bashing leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and loathe someone who does it.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

I love getting comments...tell me what you thought of my post!

Total Pageviews

Labels