Monday, January 28, 2013

BOOK REVIEW ~ LOSING IT BY CORA CARMACK




Title: Losing It 
Author: Cora Carmack
Release Date: October 15, 2012

Reviewer bought own copy of eBook



Virginity.

Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible-- a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.




Book Review

I love discovering new authors--and I loved Cora Carmack's Losing It. I have to be honest. When I first glanced at the cover, I thought this was a M/M romance---Cora's 'Bliss' on the cover has short hair and, oopsie, I thought it was a boy. My bad.

After I realized my mistake, I still found myself enjoying the book. A. Lot. The writing was humorous and had me snickering aloud. The book is written from Bliss's POV and her thoughts were quite hilarious at times. 

All the characters in Losing It were very likable and I wanted to hang out with these quirky characters. They seemed like a lot of fun. 

We get from the blurb that Bliss is ready to hand in her V card. And when her best friend, Kelsey, gives her hard time about it, the hilarity begins.

"Honey right now you look like someone's adorable little sister. No guy wants to screw his little sister. And if he does, you don't want to be near him." 


The two gals head to the local bar hang-out to scope out the possibilities and Bliss finds a very sexy guy reading...in a bar. And it's Shakespeare, no less. 

Garrick is sexy and charming, and sports a British accent which turns Bliss into a puddle of goo. There is an instant connection between the two--and Bliss thinks he could so be the one to help rectify her certain *AHEM* situation. And when they kiss, Bliss decides to let passion take the reins instead of being her usual practical self. 

However, panic sets in, and Bliss freaks out when things turn serious. And she retains her membership in the V-club at the end of the night. I don't want to give away too much, because the whole encounter is hilarious, awkward, and spoilers would weaken the humorous exchange. But I will give you a bit of a teaser:

I don't know what synapses misfired in my brain, but I wanted to kick myself. I wanted to punch myself in the face until I lost consciousness. Right about now, I could probably dive into a pool of hydrochloric acid without even a pep talk.

The writing at times does seem a bit elementary at times, especially when it comes from Bliss's inner thoughts, but you have to remember the fact that Losing It is a book with college-aged characters. Which makes the dialogue and the characterizations appropriate for the story. 

As a new fan of the New Adult genre, I enjoyed Bliss's jocularity and wit and Garrick's charming, yet sexy qualities. Losing It was a very entertaining read that provided a HAWT factor as Garrick and Bliss try to fight their exciting sexual attraction. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments...tell me what you thought of my post!

Total Pageviews

Labels